It is the mission of the Turner Free Library in Randolph to serve the informational, educational, cultural, and recreational needs of all the members of the diverse Randolph community by providing access to professional staff, cutting edge technology, quality materials, programs, and services. The Library seeks to encourage reading and the use of technology for life-long learning and enrichment of life in the community.
The Turner Free Library was founded through a generous donation by the Turner Family in 1874. Randolph was one of the first towns in Massachusetts to have a public library. The original structure was a dignified granite building located in the heart of Randolph in Crawford Square. A fire claimed this majestic building on December 6, 1962. The building and its contents were utterly demolished. In an astonishing and selfless act of devotion to public library service, business was resumed that very day with six books in a space on loan from the Congregational Church next door. The “new” library opened as the firefighters were continuing to subdue the blaze. For a time the library operated out of a station wagon with a sign on top which read “Turner Free Library,” and was driven around town by volunteers. The library was rebuilt on the original land donated by the Turners, and opened on September 6, 1966. Service to the public was deemed so important that they opened before the furniture was delivered.